A healthy way of living.
When a person applies Healthy & Fun Choices™ to their life, they become healthier contributors to their family, schools and community.
A person can learn about the healthy and fun choices concepts through this website, by attending one of our workshops or within the books.
In the last eighteen months, the Healthy & Fun Choices™ program has reached 2,288 children, 85 teachers, two school districts and nine schools. We have distributed 17,500 books in the community through our strong partnerships. 6,000 books are personally being handed out to students by the Portland Timbers Alliance.
Our research of 300 2nd graders indicates these positive changes for students that participated in the Healthy & Fun Choices™ workshop and workbook:
• 76% increased their physical activity
• 50% decreased their hours of screen time
• 72% increased the variety of colorful foods they consume
Our program has the momentum to create positive, sustainable change. Local and Regional partners are integral to our future.read more
Healthy children lead to healthy communities.
Healthy & Fun Choices™ is providing children and caregivers the knowledge and motivation to choose a healthy lifestyle. We believe that healthy includes nutrition, physical activity, communication, and behaviors.
Our three focus areas currently are:
1. Implement the Healthy & Fun Choices™ program into public, private and charter schools.
2. Involve parents in the program so they can implement healthy snacks and food choices, positive rewards/consequences, and cause/effect of healthy and fun choices.
3. Initiate parenting classes, training sessions for teachers, and memberships for families.
Bamboo River® Foundation continues developing quality programs and building partnerships with organizations that have an impact on health, equity, and social change.read more
"This is exciting!" "Healthy is now fun."
“When I learned about our healthy choices, I made a decision that day to stop having soda and choose water instead. I got my parents to change too. In three months, I’ve noticed a real change and I feel better about myself.” -Boy Age 9, Boys & Girls Club of Salem Participant
“The Healthy & Fun Choices!™ camp was excellent for my children. Now they are more conscious of making choices that benefit themselves, others and the world around them.“ –Serina, mother of two campers at IQPreschool
“The benefit of having Kirsten present the workshops during our PE Classes is that we were able to reach 730 kids in three days. Additionally, the Healthy & Fun Choices! activity book was given to each child and used in the classroom setting for writing and reading discussions. Then, the conversations continue when the children share their book at home. It’s nice to be part of positive change!” –Mr. Trey Mott, PE teacher
“After I was in the workshop, I decided to change my attitude. I’ve started walking with my dad after school and choose apples for snack. It’s a great change that makes me feel healthy.” –Boy, age 7
“In our preschool, we often refer to how we are like the concepts called Paper People™ and the Amazing Banana Race™. Kirsten’s lessons are interactive and engaging and students use their five senses. All of this allows the concepts to really stick in the minds of my students.” –Iwona Erbe, Director of IQPreschoolread more
Schedule. Donate. Partner...
As a newly formed non-profit organization we have a lot of opportunities and needs. You can help us make a big difference in the communities we serve. Currently we have programs scheduled in 10 elementary schools this June and September. We also have been asked to do presentations at organizations, farmer’s markets and health fairs this summer.
We are looking for a business development manager and a grant writer. If you know of anyone that is positive, attentive and wants to make a difference in the lives of others, please contact Kirsten at 503-761-4360 or email email@example.com for more information.
Schedule a Workshop
• 60 minute workshops with fun games & lessons
• Preschools, elementary, and after school programs
Sponsor or Partner
• Build community and health awareness by sponsoring a class or school
• Join Eastside Timbers, New Seasons, Sunnyside Dentistry for Children, Holistic Pet Center
• Sell books and keep 50% of the proceeds for your school or organization
• Fundraise to receive books or programming
• Administer scheduling or grant writing
• Participate in health fairs and workshops